Harry Redknapp sent Joe Jordan to scout Stevenage ahead of their FA Cup tie this weekend
- News: FA should delay naming England boss – Redknapp
- News: Beckham endorses Redknapp’s England claims
- News: Unfair to leave Spurs for England now – Redknapp
Harry Redknapp insisted on Friday he has not had any contact with regard to the vacant England manager’s post, and he assured Tottenham fans that he will not be distracted by all the current speculation surrounding his future.
Redknapp is the outright favourite to take the England reins following the departure of Fabio Capello just months before Euro 2012. The Spurs boss has previously said he would consider a potential offer from the FA, but insisted his club role could not be juggled with an international job.
Asked on Friday if the FA has made an approach yet, Redknapp replied: “No I haven’t spoken to anybody, I haven’t discussed the job with anybody. I’m not going to rule myself out and I’m not going to rule myself in. Nobody’s ever mentioned it to me.”
Questions over Redknapp’s future currently dominate every Spurs press conference, despite the fact they play Stevenage this weekend for a place in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup. Redknapp is adamant no focus will be lost ahead of Sunday’s encounter.
“I never think about it, people would find it hard to believe, but it hasn’t distracted me at all,” said the 64-year-old. “I’ve been thinking about Stevenage all week.
“Tough game, Joe [Jordan] and Clive [Allen] watched them in the week and came back saying, ‘This is going to be a really hard cup tie’. All I’ve been thinking about is picking a team to get a result at Stevenage.
“I don’t think anything will get resolved at Tottenham because I’ve got a job to do here. My focus is on trying to get Tottenham as high as I can. Champions League is what we want. The FA Cup is there too. That’s where I’ve got to keep focused. I can’t think about anything else really.”
The suggestion was put to Redknapp that he could find himself in a tug-o-war between the FA and Tottenham for his services, with chairman Daniel Levy having previously proven his stubborn resolve when he stopped Luka Modric going to Chelsea. It was suggested that a similar scenario could affect Redknapp over a potential compensation package should he leave White Hart Lane.
“I wouldn’t have thought so,” replied the Tottenham boss. “But as I say there’s nothing to answer.”